Full-Time Children’s Librarian
The Verona Public Library seeks a dynamic full-time Children’s Librarian to join our dedicated library team who can provide outstanding programming and customer service in the Youth Services Department.
Library Director and Head of Youth Services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Schedule and present engaging story time programs for different age groups
● Plan and conduct special programs for youth of all ages in order to encourage reading and help create lifelong library users
● Develop, maintain and promote robust 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program
● Contribute highlights on children’s activities for monthly Youth Services Department report
● Develop live and recorded virtual programs and YouTube content to provide access to library programming
● Conduct outreach programs to area schools/daycare centers and other community groups to promote library services and programs
● Collection Development of children’s materials, including selection, maintenance and withdrawals
● Organize book displays, create user guides, promotional materials, flyers and other public relations materials regarding youth services
● Promote services on social network sites in accordance with social media policy
● Provide reference and reader’s advisory guidance to youth and families
● Assist patrons of all ages in using the online catalog, other electronic tools and resources and in using library services, equipment and facilities
● Maintain good working relationships with fellow staff members
● Assist at Circulation Desk when necessary
● Perform general library work beyond youth services as necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Able to effectively develop relevant, engaging community-centered programs for youth and families
● Possess comprehensive knowledge related to youth popular culture, literature, media, educational, and technological trends in addition to showing the initiative to continually develop one’s knowledge of these areas
● Proficient in the use of computers and standard office technology and equipment (printers, scanners, copiers, etc.)
● Understands the role of social media in society and is able to effectively leverage social media to promote the library and its services
● Able to provide customer service to the public in a friendly and accurate manner
● Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, patrons and others in the community and presents a positive image of the library
● Able to work courteously and effectively in teams
● Contributes new ideas, offers solutions to problems, and suggests improvements
● Actively searches for new assignments, tasks and responsibilities
● Seeks opportunities to expand knowledge, skills and abilities by attending conferences, seminars, workshops, and webinars – as well as staying up-to-date with professional journals (print and online) specific to youth services
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
● ALA accredited Master of Library Science Degree is required.
● Experience working with youth in a youth services department of a public library is preferred.
● New MLIS/MI graduates are encouraged to apply.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
New Jersey State Professional Librarian Certificate
35 hours per week. Position requires applicant to have open availability in order to successfully work a varied schedule which includes evenings and weekends.
SALARY & BENEFIT INFORMATION
Salary meets NJLA minimum. The Library offers medical, dental and prescription benefits, deferred compensation, paid sick, vacation, personal and holiday leave and enrollment in the PERS retirement system. This is a Civil Service position.
To apply, email cover letter, resume and 3 references to Claudine Pascale, Library Director at pascale @ veronalibrary.org
January 4, 2022